Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Egg In The Hole!

Did that title get your attention? LMAO! Welcome back to another Tasty Tuesday!

This is a dish my friends mom used to make for us when I was younger. I stayed over at their house many of nights and almost every morning we would get these!



The recipe is simple! Butter a piece of bread on both sides and cut out a circle in the middle (I just turn a glass upside down, press and twist). Throw it in a hot skillet and then crack an egg to put in the hole. I break my yolks cause I don't like them runny but you can leave them whole too. Add a dash of salt and pepper. The top ones have more than a dash but those were for hubby...I don't like as much pepper as he does! Once the bottom is golden brown flip and cook the other side. I also use the little circles that I cut out and add a cinnamon/sugar mixture to them. Kind of a sweet morning treat!

Let me know if you make these and what you think! Good ole' southern comfort food....without the liquor! LOL!

6 Comments:

Lorraine said...

wow this is fab i must try these they look scrummy thankyou for sharing your recipe xx

Anonymous said...

Looks aweosme, I have always mean't to try that!

Nom Nom Nom!

Christina Hicks said...

I make these for hubby but he calls them toad in a hole, have no clue why lol.

Dawnll said...

I so miss making these for my children- I used a cookie cutter like a heart or shamrock...they loved these when they were little.
Thanks for bringing and old memory back.
blessings to you, Dawn ll

Merry said...

Mmmmm...I haven't done this for ages. Thanks for the reminder and I am so with you...need to break those yolks. :-)

Michelle H. said...

I think I have tried this when I was really young and don't remember who made them!
They were good and what a fun idea!
I will have to try this one day with dd!
Hugs!