Monday, November 1, 2010

Apple Streudel



One of my favorite desserts is cherry pie...that is until I had my husband's grandma's apple streudel recently! YUM!! I HAD to have the recipe and wouldn't you know....she doesn't have one! GASP!! She just throws a little of this and a little of that together...lol! Okay, that is fine but I need a recipe to try first and then I can alter it my own way....so my MIL was kind enough to help me out and she told me to make 2 double pie crusts (one set for the bottom of pan and one set for the top)and a double batch of pie filling for the center. I used a jelly roll pan and baked for approx. 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Then make up a powder sugar icing and drizzle on top after baking. Let's just say this was a BIG experiment on my part and luckily it turned out delicious! I wasn't expecting much as the crust/filling recipe my MIL gave me didn't exactly fit my pan so I had to improvise!! LOL! I also used mostly red delicious and one granny smith (all I had on hand) plus left the skins on. I know some people don't like the skins but I do and they hold alot of nutrients!

I do not know which book my MIL got the filling recipe from but I do know where to get one from a blogging buddy. Click HERE for Becky's Apple Pie recipe!

Hubby said I could make my variation ANYTIME....I took Becky's idea and froze three more batches for later! Thanks for the tip Becky!!! I had a BUNCH of apples from the local orchard to do something with before they went bad! :P

Hope you give it a try!
-Stacie

6 Comments:

Merry said...

Yum...sounds like your experiment worked big time. What a good idea cooking two more. Although I am not sure they would make to the freezer in my house. lol

craftieodmae said...

Looks great! I have had them and they are good, You are brave to use Red Delicious, I always thought they turned to water when cooked, see I learned something! LOL TFS

Becky B. said...

YUMMMMM-O!!! This streudel looks and sounds soooo delicious - I'm definitely gonna make this recipe ASAP! I just love baking with apples...it makes my house smell just delish! Thanks for sharing the idea and also thanks for linking back to my blog for the Apple Pie Recipe! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

how awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


YUMMMMMMM, I so wish I lived close, youd never have me out of you kitchen lol.

way to go girl, esp on the first attempt!

Michelle H. said...

That looks so yummy!!
Sounds so good!!
Glad it all went well for you!!
WTG on freezing the other batches!!
TFS!

Sammye Jo said...

This looks SUPER yummy!!