Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First embossed card....



Well, here is a card as promised...not really happy with it but I ran out of time to do some damage control. I have been soooooo scared to try heat embossing but I gave it a try and I like it but I definately could use some tips. See in the picture all the little black dots around my image....how do I keep that from happening??? I stamped in versamark...used black powder...tapped off excess and heat embossed. Then tried to brush any powder that was left off but it was stuck on the card!! Kind of gives this card a neat effect but in the future I won't want that to happen. Then I watercolored my image....okay I haven't used actual watercolored paints in YEARS...got some areas a little too watery...oops! Under the flowers I tried to clean up some orange but just made it look dirty...ugh :( Then I added alot of sparkle but it just didn't turn out as I had hoped. Also I can't cut straight if my life depended on it! LOL! My image gets smaller and smaller and smaller....I so depend on my cricut way too much!! I will keep practicing at this so hopefully I can get better! Any tips on the embossing or anything else is greatly appreciated. Hopefully the next card will be MUCH better!

I am entering this into some challenges:

Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge #7 - Show the Earth rejoicing!
Crafty Catz Challenge #2 - butterflies
Flutter By Wednesday #77 - butterfly OR fairy AND the color sapphire
ABC Challenge - E is for embossing
Back to Basics #5 - emboss and watercolor

11 Comments:

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Stacie
A beautiful card,thankyou for joining us at CraftyCatz this week,
Hugs Dianne xx

Suzie said...

This is lovely you've done a great job with the embossing. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Catz. Suzie x

Kirsty said...

this is lovely, thanks for joing us at crafty catz this week kirsty x

Payne Holler Cards said...

this turned out cute!!!! on your embossing, do you have what they call an "embossing buddy" ...you can get them from any craft store, etc. Just rub it across your paper before you stamp or emboss, it keeps the emboss powder from sticking to your paper...I've heard of other techniques to keep the powder from sticking, but using this little pouch is quick and easy!
hope this helped!!!
Linda

Helen said...

Oh, Stacie, I really like how your card turned out! I love the "sparkle" it has to it, too! And anytime you "mess up" or "make a mistake" you really don't! It's what crafting is all about. Making it unique! I think this card is lovely! Thanks for playing with us at SSCC! I can't wait to see more from you!
Blessings!
~H

Merry said...

Hey Stacie...great card. I agree with Helen...about the mistakes. Some of my better cards come from mistakes that I have to cover up. lol. As Payne Holler said one of those embossing buddies are brilliant. I only bought one the end of last year and now don't know how I survived. Cornflour or talc powder on one of those big powder puff things do much the same job.

Jennie said...

I echo what Linda said....you need an embossing buddy! Those things are worth their weight in gold! Great card, nice colors and design :o)

Jennie said...

Cute card! Yep, you need an embossing buddy! They are perfect for keeping the ep from sticking where you don't want it :o)

carol said...

lovely card it is too, thanks for joining in this week at craftcatz, x carol

Barb said...

Heat embossing tip: You can use a used bounce sheet from the dryer, or you can use a Swifter cloth, the kind you use for floors. I like the effects it gave your card.

Gotta share this, I was the first person to post at a challenge, it was my first time entering a challenge, their first posted challenge & random.org picked #1 - tada.

Victoria said...

What a beautiful card you have made I love the embossing.

Thank you for joining us on ABC this fortnight

hugs Vicky

ps I have candy on my blog if you are interested x