Monday, October 26, 2009

Copic blending...


Digi is free from There's Magic in the Air.

No card today...getting ready to go take some senior pictures (I also do some amateur photography). I debated whether I should post this or not but I want some real honest feedback. I can color with my new Copics but I have no clue how to blend and that is part of the point of even owning copics to begin with right?! So I sat down one evening while watching TV and had a serious go at it. This is how it turned out. I realized that blending causes major bleeding outside the lines!! YIKES!! Not sure how to stop this?? I worked hard to push it back in but it all did not go. I'm sure if I fussed with it more I could of made even more progress but I got tired...LOL! Anyways, looking for HONEST feedback! I would love to hear what you like and what I could improve upon...or tips/suggestions on how you color with Copics would be helpful also!! Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks so much and enjoy the rest of your day...it is beautiful outside!! YAH! No rain! :)

-Stacie

5 Comments:

Merry said...

This will be interesting to watch the comments here. I like the way you have shaded your pumpkins with the lighter colour down the centre. Maybe the bleeding was more to do with the type of paper and ink you have used. I noticed the other day while using my one and only copic it made the Stazon ink bleed.

Denise Clark said...

I don't use Copics. I use Prismacolors but I think the effect is basically the same. If I have problems with bleeding I use Versamark and embossing powders to stamp the images I am going to color. That usually helps hold the color in the lines. Sometimes though the bleeding is kind of pretty...

Also, the basics I was taught is to use the lightest colors first and proceed to the darkest. Also, using your pumpkin as an example, I would color the entire pumpkin with a light layer of orange then proceed with darker highlights here and there. That gives you layers to blend. I have also found that a piece of regular paper rolled up and then folded makes a great blending stump. Hope that helps.

Kym's Crafty Cards said...

Stacie, I don't have any Copics so can't advise you in relation to them. I have though started using Promarkers and I have got bleed on some papers and not on others so that is maybe what is happening with your Copic colouring. Think you'll have to wait for a Copic expert but didn't want you to think people hadn't looked at your post. I think you've done well with this image - better than I could do!!! Take care, Kym xxx

CraftyC said...

I use Copics but am no expert. I think its just a matter of time or practice. I always use a Memento Inkpad for my Copics and the bleeding will probably be down to the card/paper you are using. The smoother the better. I little tip - outline the whole of the image with a pale Copic pen, this may help cover any mishaps, I usually use a pale grey though any shade will match. Also, have you tried the blender pen. Use this on the bits that you dont want and they should fade. Hope that helps!
Clairex

Crafty Jenn said...

Stacie, I'm new to Copics also, but my friend Sparkle is the Queen of Copics. You can find her helpful post here which also has links to cool tutorials. I know that the ink you stamp your image with and cardstock are the two big factors. Hope that helps!